Contrasting Worldviews
Going off the last entry and the topic of shoes... So, I just got back to my room for the evening and took mine off. Isn't it a weird feeling when you've been walking around in heels all day and then you take them off? Your calves feel so stretched out and your heels feel so light. Or maybe I'm describing it wrong. I don't know. But if you've ever worn heels, then you've experienced this and should know what I mean. And if you haven't worn heels, you should try it.
My sister's birthday was today, so my family came up to visit and take her out to dinner and I joined. We went to Chili's. I didn't order chicken crispers, believe it or not. But I definitely went for fried amazingness with my choice of country-fried steak. It came with delicious garlic bread and delectable corn on the cob (I still have stuff stuck in my teeth) and decent mashed potatoes (I'm not a huge potato fan but whatever). I ate so much; it's like four hours later and I still feel full.
Then, after dinner, I skipped the whole eating birthday cake and opening presents thing back at Katie's apartment. I felt bad, but I wanted to go to Intervarsity tonight. They were pairing with the Center For Inquiry, a group made of mainly atheists, I'd say. There was basically a panel discussion and people were encouraged to write questions on index cards that the panel would be answering. The panel was made of three Christians and three atheists. There was an undergrad, grad student, and educated adult representative from each group.
Some of the questions were pretty difficult to answer, and the panel had a lot of interesting comments. I actually recognized the undergrad atheist from my philosophy class. Some of the things he talked about I know he learned in that class. Anyway, it gave me a lot of good stuff to think about. Right now, it's all just a jumble of thoughts, if you could even call it that. I'm not sure what to think. When you start hearing people's arguments about how there is no God, it's kinda tough to really think about. To tell you the truth, tonight's panel discussion reminded me a lot of my philosophy class. We talk a lot about religion and God and faith and stuff in there. Every day, I leave class with my mind in a sort of blur. Sometimes, I'm scared to really sit down and think about it, because, what if, after doing so, I come to the conclusion there is no God after all? It's not like I have an enormous amount of proof one way or another.
Anyway, I think it went pretty well, and I'm sure God's using the event to work in all of our hearts, Christian and non.
My sister's birthday was today, so my family came up to visit and take her out to dinner and I joined. We went to Chili's. I didn't order chicken crispers, believe it or not. But I definitely went for fried amazingness with my choice of country-fried steak. It came with delicious garlic bread and delectable corn on the cob (I still have stuff stuck in my teeth) and decent mashed potatoes (I'm not a huge potato fan but whatever). I ate so much; it's like four hours later and I still feel full.
Then, after dinner, I skipped the whole eating birthday cake and opening presents thing back at Katie's apartment. I felt bad, but I wanted to go to Intervarsity tonight. They were pairing with the Center For Inquiry, a group made of mainly atheists, I'd say. There was basically a panel discussion and people were encouraged to write questions on index cards that the panel would be answering. The panel was made of three Christians and three atheists. There was an undergrad, grad student, and educated adult representative from each group.
Some of the questions were pretty difficult to answer, and the panel had a lot of interesting comments. I actually recognized the undergrad atheist from my philosophy class. Some of the things he talked about I know he learned in that class. Anyway, it gave me a lot of good stuff to think about. Right now, it's all just a jumble of thoughts, if you could even call it that. I'm not sure what to think. When you start hearing people's arguments about how there is no God, it's kinda tough to really think about. To tell you the truth, tonight's panel discussion reminded me a lot of my philosophy class. We talk a lot about religion and God and faith and stuff in there. Every day, I leave class with my mind in a sort of blur. Sometimes, I'm scared to really sit down and think about it, because, what if, after doing so, I come to the conclusion there is no God after all? It's not like I have an enormous amount of proof one way or another.
Anyway, I think it went pretty well, and I'm sure God's using the event to work in all of our hearts, Christian and non.
Comments