FE Exam
I signed up to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (or FE) exam this April. It's only two months away! And I'm completely unprepared! It's not essential that I do well or anything. Basically, it's just the first step on the way to professional licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE). It's not the end of the world if I don't pass; I can still get a job and stuff.
I really don't know anything about it other than that. I believe that it's just pass/fail, that you don't receive a score. I know that it's a ridiculously long test, with four hours in the morning on general material and four hours in the afternoon on material specific to your field of study. I'm signed up for the "mechanical engineering" afternoon portion.
As far as what kind of questions to expect and how in depth I'm going to have to remember what I've learned, I don't at all know what to expect. The other day, I found the FE Reference Handbook online. Everyone will receive one on test day to use during the exam and give back when finished. We can download it ahead of time to become familiar with where all the information is and how it's sorted. It's 264 pages long!
If I want to take a class to help prepare, there's a course being offered for $699 plus the cost of books. No thanks! There are practice tests online for $32.95 each. Maybe after I look through the handbook a little, I'll take one of those just to get an idea of what to expect. I did find a free ten question sample online; I got 5 out of 10. That's failing. Shoot. And some of those correct answers were lucky guesses!
I think my mom took the test years ago. I should ask her what she remembers. (Though I already know what she'll say: "Like I remember anything from that long ago! I've been out of school longer than you've been alive!" That's always her excuse when she doesn't know something.)
I really don't know anything about it other than that. I believe that it's just pass/fail, that you don't receive a score. I know that it's a ridiculously long test, with four hours in the morning on general material and four hours in the afternoon on material specific to your field of study. I'm signed up for the "mechanical engineering" afternoon portion.
As far as what kind of questions to expect and how in depth I'm going to have to remember what I've learned, I don't at all know what to expect. The other day, I found the FE Reference Handbook online. Everyone will receive one on test day to use during the exam and give back when finished. We can download it ahead of time to become familiar with where all the information is and how it's sorted. It's 264 pages long!
If I want to take a class to help prepare, there's a course being offered for $699 plus the cost of books. No thanks! There are practice tests online for $32.95 each. Maybe after I look through the handbook a little, I'll take one of those just to get an idea of what to expect. I did find a free ten question sample online; I got 5 out of 10. That's failing. Shoot. And some of those correct answers were lucky guesses!
I think my mom took the test years ago. I should ask her what she remembers. (Though I already know what she'll say: "Like I remember anything from that long ago! I've been out of school longer than you've been alive!" That's always her excuse when she doesn't know something.)
Comments