Ice skating
Last night, I went ice skating with some friends. Laura had seen a sign that ice skating would be free that night, so we invited a bunch of people. We had a good number of people agree to join us, a dozen or so. The ice arena was packed. The ice was so rough from so many skates going so many directions on it. I think we actually weren't supposed to be there. It was a "skate party" for international students and people living in the university apartments. But it's not like they could tell if we were or weren't a part of those groups.
While I was there, I saw Thitirat, my old conversation partner from 2 years ago. She is from Thailand. I was part of a program the last two years where you get paired with an international student and meet with them once a week. Your basic duty is simply to befriend them. From surveys, we know that a majority of international students' greatest wish when coming to the US is to make an American friend, and a lot of times, we as Americans don't reach out to people different from us who are struggling with our language. The English Conversation Partners program works to change that. Seeing Thitirat was really great; you get to know someone fairly well when you talk to them for an hour a week. She suggested we hang out some time. I hope it happens.
After a couple hours of skating, it was 11pm. Laura was craving some sugar, so she suggested we go on a dessert run. Several of us decided to head to Insomnia Cookies, this place that sells overpriced warm cookies. The word "Insomnia" in the business's name just means it's open late for those people with insomnia. So we headed out that way. I got a couple white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. They were sooo delicious. Then we went next door to taco bell where some of us grabbed some food. We didn't head home until after 1:00. I was so tired, but it was fun.
While I was there, I saw Thitirat, my old conversation partner from 2 years ago. She is from Thailand. I was part of a program the last two years where you get paired with an international student and meet with them once a week. Your basic duty is simply to befriend them. From surveys, we know that a majority of international students' greatest wish when coming to the US is to make an American friend, and a lot of times, we as Americans don't reach out to people different from us who are struggling with our language. The English Conversation Partners program works to change that. Seeing Thitirat was really great; you get to know someone fairly well when you talk to them for an hour a week. She suggested we hang out some time. I hope it happens.
After a couple hours of skating, it was 11pm. Laura was craving some sugar, so she suggested we go on a dessert run. Several of us decided to head to Insomnia Cookies, this place that sells overpriced warm cookies. The word "Insomnia" in the business's name just means it's open late for those people with insomnia. So we headed out that way. I got a couple white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. They were sooo delicious. Then we went next door to taco bell where some of us grabbed some food. We didn't head home until after 1:00. I was so tired, but it was fun.
Comments