Travel plans
I bought an "All you can fly" ticket from Tuifly, available only to German students. It's valid through all of July and August. I won't be here in August, but July has four weekends. But the thing is, there's a lot of fine print for the all you can fly pass, and it's in German so I can't really understand it. The map on the website showed a lot of destinations. After I bought the tickets, I realized you can't go quite everywhere from Cologne or Dusseldorf, the two closest airports I would fly out of. That was okay though; they still had quite a variety of choices, and I'm sure any of them would be very enjoyable. Later I learned that you can only book flights two days in advance. That wouldn't leave much time to plan. And if nothing's available, you're out of luck.
On Monday, I signed into the site to check it out. I couldn't book anything for the weekend yet, since it was more than two days in advance, but they show the flights for the next week. Well, I searched and found absolutely no flights availabe for the weekend. I thought I must be doing something wrong, but I tried and tried and couldn't find anything. I was beginning to think I got ripped off on this all you can fly ticket, and that I just threw $400 down the drain.
On Monday, I signed into the site to check it out. I couldn't book anything for the weekend yet, since it was more than two days in advance, but they show the flights for the next week. Well, I searched and found absolutely no flights availabe for the weekend. I thought I must be doing something wrong, but I tried and tried and couldn't find anything. I was beginning to think I got ripped off on this all you can fly ticket, and that I just threw $400 down the drain.
I went on the Tuifly site again today, and this time, it worked a little better. I saw some flights available for the weekend. There's only about one per day to any given destination, but at least there's something. But, I had already decided to forget about Tuifly and buy other tickets. I really wasn't sure I would be able to use the all you can fly pass, and other flights are cheaper the earlier you book them.
I've decided to spend money like it's going out of style and plan a lot of weekend trips for my last month here. This weekend, I will go to Brussels. I went to the train station on Monday to ask about tickets. They were only 43.50 euros, so I figured what the heck. I'd also waited in a very long line, so I felt the need to purchase something to make it worth it.
And the following weekend, I'm going to Paris. I'm still going with Young Hye. We decided to take the train instead of the bus. It's a French train that goes really fast, called the Thalys. My tickets arrived in the mail the other day; I'm starting to get excited!
The third weekend in July, I don't have plans yet. Maybe I'll actually use my all you can fly pass for once. During the week leading up to it, I have friends going to Baden Baden. I would really like to join them. Most of my trips, I'm going alone; it would be nice to have some people to be with. My German class is ended by that time, but I still have work and a farewell dinner on Wednesday night. I could rearrange my work schedule, I'm sure. Skip the dinner? Maybe try to get it rescheduled? Unfortunately, I might have to pass on Baden Baden. I'll have to think about it more.
My final weekend in Europe, I will go to Rome.
I noticed I'm sort of making the tour of the European capital cities. I guess those are the first cities that come to mind when I'm brainstorming where to go.
Comments