July 21--I've been waiting for this day for a while, ever since I was walking back from a great time playing volleyball around a month ago and decided I wanted to sign up for the class. Thanks to the credit I'm earning this summer, I'm a little ahead of the game and have some space in my schedule. For the spring semester next year, I'd registered for a mechanical engineering senior elective class that I didn't need to graduate. I need 12 credits per semester to remain a full time student, and I only had 10 without it. But then I got to thinking that volleyball would be a much more fun option. I'm sure a senior level class in mechanical engineering would be very difficult. Why would I voluntarily sign up for all that homework and all those projects and tests when I could play volleyball instead?
As soon as I got back to my dorm after walking back from the gym, I went online to check the course schedule. I tried not to get too excited about the volleyball idea in case there were no classes that fit in my schedule or no open sections. I went to the enrollment page. There, I read that you can only access the site between 8AM and 8PM. It was 8:45. I just missed it; wait, no! It was only 2:45 Eastern Daylight Time! So I tried to log in. But I got an error message for a different reason. The enrollment page is closed to everyone except incoming freshmen until July 21. They don't want the system to get bogged down during the summer orientation period when the freshmen are all signing up for classes.
Well, I could still view the schedule of courses through a different webpage. I just couldn't enroll in any of them. So I searched for all the kinesiology courses. There are three sections of Volleyball 1 in the spring. All three fit in my schedule! Volleyball is only one credit, so I'd need another if I wanted to be at the twelve credit mark and drop that mechanical engineering course (worth 3 credits). I checked it out and found an ice skating class that also fit in my schedule. Sweet! Now I just had to hope there were spots left in the class for when I had the chance to enroll. I would monitor the status of the classes periodically. The same webpage I used to see when the class times were showed how many people were enrolled and what the limit was. Slowly, all the sections gained more people. One of the volleyball sections reached the maximum (the one that started at 10:20 as opposed to the other two which are at 9:10, go figure). But today, I went online at 2:00 (8AM EST) and successfully signed up for both Ice Skating 1 and Volleyball 1. Yay! My last semester's gonna be awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blister

Mother's Day

St. Lucia