Just one more week

It's hard for me to believe, but in one week, I'll be flying back to the US. And tomorrow I'm leaving for Rome for four days. So really, I only have a little bit of time left in Aachen. I'm looking out my dorm room window right now. It's a gorgeous day. The sky is completely blue. The trees are green. Each tiny leaf stands out in the bright sunlight. My window is wide open and I'm breathing in the fresh fifth story air. Right now I'm thinking I should take a walk, if for no other reason than to experience the weather. I could take a bag full of pop bottles that have been collecting in my room to the store and return them for the funds back for the deposits I paid. I've been trying to clean up my room somewhat since I'm moving out soon. It's crazy how much of a mess I can make in the course of a few months. I thought I was a pretty tidy, organized person, but I'm realizing that isn't true. My room was so messy, I was embarrassed to let other people see it. It's already looking a lot better though.
I'm really going to miss it here. I'm going to miss the people on my floor. I still remember the first day when everyone was so helpful and friendly. I've never been in a more welcoming atmosphere. I'm going to miss Maria and Irene. It's been a while since I've seen either, but they're both such great people. I'll miss the people from the institute where I work. Since I'm in there 18 hours a week, they're probably the people I've been around the most in Aachen on a regular basis. I'll miss the UROP students that I met. I already miss my German teacher. I'll miss the other friends I made, like those I went with to Baden-Baden. I'll miss Simone. I'll miss the guys from MSU; I know they're coming back too, but we won't be a unit anymore. We'll all go our separate ways.
I'll miss being on a constant vacation, though I still have summer break for a good portion of August. I'll miss the way of life in Germany. I'm not even sure what I mean by that yet, but I know when I get back to Michigan, it will become apparent. I'll miss all the old architecture. I'll miss the bratwurst, the schnitzel, the doner, the chocolate. It's really started to feel like home here. So what am I doing wasting my time typing?!
Get out there, Sara, and take full advantage of your last days in Europe!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Weather alert! I guess you decided it was okay to write about the weather again.
Geesh, the time really just flies, doesn't it? And it's always like that at the end. You realize how much you love everything and how much you're gonna miss it. I'm really so glad this has been a good experience for you, Sara!!! And wow, what a traveler you turned out to be... How many stamps in your passport now?
flutterby1987 said…
I'm so glad to hear you're having fun, Sara! Enjoy yourself--and I can't wait to see and hang out with you this fall!!!! :-)

P.S. Your blogs are pretty funny. hehe I enjoy reading them!

Popular posts from this blog

Blister

Mother's Day

St. Lucia