To blog or not to blog...
...that is the question.
I haven't written in a long time. I was debating whether my life is interesting enough anymore, now that I'm not in Europe.
Well, my readers may not think so, but I decided I want a written record of what's happening, so I'll blog about it.
I'll pick up with today, I guess. I'm sitting at work right now, waiting for some students to come into the Math Learning Center so I can tutor them. The topic is geometry and areas. It's really simple stuff. On Monday, I had a few people in the help room. It was shocking to see how clueless they are. Some students don't even know how to relate radius and diameter! We were taught in orientation for the TA position not to make any comments to make the students feel stupid, like "Everyone should know this stuff from high school." I really had to hold back. I'm sure my eyes were just popping out with disbelief that they didn't know to multiply length times width to find a rectangle's area!
It suddenly got very cold this past week. I was in Sacramento this weekend, where the sun was always shining and temperatures reached the 80's each day. Now I'm avoiding going outside because I don't want my fingers and face to go numb in a matter of minutes. It's absolutely miserable. I'm not sure if I want it to snow or not. It's cold anyway, and at least it would look pretty.
I had to give a humiliating presentation this morning. All the students did projects for my mechatronics class. This was the final day of presentations. I was missing the first day because I was in California. I had arranged with the professor to present on the day I would be in class, but I had to turn in copies of my slides and an executive memo before I left. So I threw the project together in all of 20 minutes. It was so bad. I made a prototype that causes an LED to glow brighter the darker its surroundings are. A photoresistor is the sensor I used to determine light levels in the surrounds. I called it the Bright-o-Matic--pretty lame.
Luckily, our presentations could be a max of 3 minutes, so I didn't have to stand up there long. I'm sure I got a terrible grade. Oh well. What can I do about it now?
I haven't written in a long time. I was debating whether my life is interesting enough anymore, now that I'm not in Europe.
Well, my readers may not think so, but I decided I want a written record of what's happening, so I'll blog about it.
I'll pick up with today, I guess. I'm sitting at work right now, waiting for some students to come into the Math Learning Center so I can tutor them. The topic is geometry and areas. It's really simple stuff. On Monday, I had a few people in the help room. It was shocking to see how clueless they are. Some students don't even know how to relate radius and diameter! We were taught in orientation for the TA position not to make any comments to make the students feel stupid, like "Everyone should know this stuff from high school." I really had to hold back. I'm sure my eyes were just popping out with disbelief that they didn't know to multiply length times width to find a rectangle's area!
It suddenly got very cold this past week. I was in Sacramento this weekend, where the sun was always shining and temperatures reached the 80's each day. Now I'm avoiding going outside because I don't want my fingers and face to go numb in a matter of minutes. It's absolutely miserable. I'm not sure if I want it to snow or not. It's cold anyway, and at least it would look pretty.
I had to give a humiliating presentation this morning. All the students did projects for my mechatronics class. This was the final day of presentations. I was missing the first day because I was in California. I had arranged with the professor to present on the day I would be in class, but I had to turn in copies of my slides and an executive memo before I left. So I threw the project together in all of 20 minutes. It was so bad. I made a prototype that causes an LED to glow brighter the darker its surroundings are. A photoresistor is the sensor I used to determine light levels in the surrounds. I called it the Bright-o-Matic--pretty lame.
Luckily, our presentations could be a max of 3 minutes, so I didn't have to stand up there long. I'm sure I got a terrible grade. Oh well. What can I do about it now?
Comments