Interview #1

I just had my first interview of the year. It was with Lincoln Electric. I'd never heard of the company before they invited me to an interview; apparently, they do welding stuff.
Last night, they had an information session at the Kellogg Center. I went, since I knew nothing about the company. The speaker had some good stuff to say. Lincoln Electric is over 100 years old and is headquartered in Cleveland. It's not Michigan, but still the Midwest.
The interview today went....medium. It wasn't nearly as bad as the only other interview I've ever had (with Shell last year). I mostly could think of something to say, except when asked about a conflict I've had and how I dealt with it. I still don't know what I could have said. I remember rambling about different officers in Tau Beta Pi not doing what they're supposed to and as president, having to deal with that. I was also asked about the best manager I've ever had.
The thing that excites me most about Lincoln is one of the training programs they offer new hires, in Engineering Operations. Part of that training includes a 3-month assignment overseas! I'd love for an chance to travel for that length of time again.
I don't have any classes today. My only class scheduled on Thursdays is Heat Transfer Lab, which no longer meets for the rest of the semester because we've begun work on our final design projects. I did have to work today though; I lead a recitation session on Thursdays for MTH112. And later, I met with the other TA's and our course supervisor for our weekly meeting. Then I had my interview.
Now I get to go meet with Aimee, a girl I mentor. I volunteer for the PALs program (an acronym for I forget what). It's basically for female engineers here at MSU. Older women mentor the younger women, giving any advice on classes, career, or college life in general, and supporting each other. Aimee's a nice girl; she's from Redford. We're both mechanical engineering majors; she's a freshman. I think the last few times we've talked, I've sounded really exasperated, just from the amount of work I have to do as a senior in mechanical engineering. I hope I haven't scared her...
After that, I offered to sub for Kurt, another TA I know from my job. He has a big test tomorrow and is scheduled to tutor in the MLC tonight; I'm taking his shift so he can study. Then, tonight, I told Rachel, a friend of mine from Intervarsity (Christian Fellowship) I'd join her at some meeting. I completely forget what it even is I volunteered to go to...something about people getting together...to discuss science and religion and stuff---Free Thinkers! That was it. So, funny how a day off without any classes can be completely booked for me. I tell ya, life never slows down when you're a senior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blister

Mother's Day

St. Lucia