Perseids Meteor Shower

Last night, Mark and I did some stargazing. He'd read that there was supposed to be a meteor shower that peaked from about midnight to 1AM. Whenever I mentioned to someone that I was going to watch a meteor shower, they wouldn't have heard anything about it--even my mom, which is odd since she always reads the news and you'd think there would've been something about it.
But I think Mark knew what he was talking about, because I did see several shooting stars last night! It was so cool!
We found a spot to lie down on a dock at the lake near where Mark lives. Staring up at the sky and seeing nothing, I was doubtful that this meteor shower was gonna be worth watching. Every once in a while, an airplane or satellite would go by and give us something to look at, but for the most part, there was nothing but the twinkle of the stars.
Mark kept giving false alarms, claiming he thought he saw something, but then questioning if it was just his imagination. Then, suddenly, a light streaked quickly across the sky. Both Mark and I saw it so we knew it was for real. A shooting star! That's the first one I'd seen in a long time, maybe ever. I seem to remember seeing one on Halloween a long time ago; but I don't remember anything about it, just that I saw it. Anyway, this shooting star (meteor if you want to be technical) was nothing like I expected it to be. I thought shooting stars arced slowly, but this went very fast in a straight line. It was over within a second.
My enthusiasm was renewed and I kept staring up into the sky. I saw five more shooting stars that night for certain, perhaps a few more. I could swear I'd see something in the corner of my eye, but by the time I turned my head, there was nothing.
We were out there a few hours; if our view hadn't been blocked by a tree and we'd been in a spot with less light pollution, I bet we'd have seen more. But six shooting stars in one night is definitely a record for me!
Then, on my way home, I wasn't thinking about meteors at all when I saw a small light flashing across the sky ahead of me. Could it be?! Another shooting star?! I determined that the supposed shooting star had come from the northeast, which was the direction the news had said the meteors would be coming from. And it's not like I had even been looking for it or even thinking about it. My mind couldn't be playing tricks on me, could it? As I was trying to decide whether I was imagining things or not, another shooting star shown in front of me!
When I got home, I couldn't resist. I went outside on my back deck and looked some more. But I saw none in five minutes, got impatient, and went inside to go to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blister

Mother's Day

St. Lucia