Fears
I leave for Germany in two weeks. And now, I'm starting to feel like I knew I would--scared. I'm going to be living in a dorm. I'll have my own room, but I'll share a kitchen, living room, and bathroom with other German students. This actually sounds like an ideal living arrangement. I won't have to live with a host family or anything like that. I'll have my own space (my bedroom) but not be a total loner. I'll hopefully get to know the people I share the other rooms with. But what if I'm my usual shy self and withdraw from them? What if I make a terrible first impression because I'll be too tired to socialize when I get there, and after that, it's too hard to change how they think of me? What if I don't have any friends and I'm all alone in another country? Everyone knows I don't make friends that easily.
Besides the whole forming friendships thing, I'm also pretty worried about drinking. I've never even had a sip of beer before in my life. I definitely plan on drinking in Germany. But what will it be like? What if, after one drink, my judgement is so impaired that I just keep drinking and drinking, getting more and more drunk? Then I end up in the hospital or dead. What if I get too out of control? Or what if I don't like it? I'm definitely nervous. And I really hope my 21st birthday is one to remember, not spent alone and friendless.
Besides the whole forming friendships thing, I'm also pretty worried about drinking. I've never even had a sip of beer before in my life. I definitely plan on drinking in Germany. But what will it be like? What if, after one drink, my judgement is so impaired that I just keep drinking and drinking, getting more and more drunk? Then I end up in the hospital or dead. What if I get too out of control? Or what if I don't like it? I'm definitely nervous. And I really hope my 21st birthday is one to remember, not spent alone and friendless.
Comments