Romance novels

With all the free time I have now, one of the ideas I've toyed with is writing a book. Both my mom and my aunt agree I should do it. Growing up, I always wanted to be an author; maybe it's time to fulfill that childhood dream.
I thought about what I could write. My favorite style is just narrative about my life. My aunt says her favorite thing to read is something with a little romance and humor. Sort of like writing a chick flick/romantic comedy in novel form, I guess.
I don't read much. I figured I'd do a little market research first and check out a romance novel from the library. I wanted to see what it is that other people are reading and if I could emulate it.
I'm halfway through reading the romance novel, and I have to say, I could never write anything like this. Or at least, have any self respect left after I was through with it. Reading about situations with sexual tension is just awkward to me. And what's with the overuse of the word "smoldering"? What does that even mean, for the object of your attraction to be smoldering? The dictionary says that's to be burning slowly with no flame. That or showing barely suppressed anger, hatred, or some other strong emotion. I don't think I've ever looked at my husband and thought, "Wow, he just looks so damn smoldering right now."
If I did write anything, it'd probably be the story of how Mark and I ended up together and my charades along the way of trying to get his attention and get him to like me. Somewhat more PG of a love story. And I vow not to use the word "smoldering," at least, not unless I'm describing a literal fire. Maybe the ashes of the bonfire are still smoldering as Mark and I sit together on the camping trip, talking late into the night...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blister

Mother's Day

St. Lucia