A walk with Fido

We got a dog a couple months ago, and taking him on a walk has become an almost daily occurrence for me now.
So what's the average walk with Fido like? Well, it starts with me struggling to lock the front door as Fido tugs at his leash.
We eventually start to make our way around the block. Armed with poop bags, ready for anything, I get a tight grip on the leash and try to keep my 60-lb. dog under control.
At least once along the way, I have to stop Fido from eating something, whether it's grass, a dead bird, or a stray piece of litter.
My stomach sinks each time we pass somewhere Fido's pooped before. Unfortunately, that's basically the entire neighborhood at this point. Bagging up fresh doggie doodoo has to be one of the worst parts of dog ownership. And then, if it's a small dump, you know there's a chance he'll go again on the same walk.
If we happen to pass someone, a friendly greeting is exchanged. Some people go so far as to compliment Fido and say he's a good looking dog. I do my best not to roll my eyes or laugh. Just kidding. Like any dog mommy, I think my puppy's the best puppy of them all. When I meet other dogs, I find myself secretly thinking how Fido's better. I guess that's natural for parents.
We have to be careful around this one house. I swear, there's someone waiting at the switch watching for us, ready to turn on their sprinkler system and soak us. I got my work pants a little damp one morning, but they dried by the end of the walk.
And there's another house Fido always walks up the sidewalk toward the front door. The house doesn't look like ours particularly. I noticed the house number is one different from ours though. Maybe Fido can read numbers and he's actually a genius dog.
When we're finally back approaching home, after successfully dodging sprinklers and scooping poop (I've gotten pretty good, developed a nice technique), the last challenge: getting Fido in the door. He generally fights. He either doesn't want the walk to end, or he's scared of the front door. I'm not sure which. Fido is scared of a lot of things a big scary looking 60-lb. dog shouldn't be afraid of.
In the end, I'm thankful for my walking companion. He gives me an excuse to get a little extra exercise each day. I can't imagine life without my furry friend; he's part of the family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blister

Mother's Day

St. Lucia