Being married is awesome

I LOVE being married. Living with your best friend, sharing dreams for the future, making those dreams happen together... It's all such a wonderful experience.
As I get ready to enter a fourth year of marriage, I am learning that it is more than just something that makes my life happier though. It's even more than trying to make someone else's life better and bringing each other mutual joy.
Marriage is a picture of the relationship between Christ and the church. We've been hearing a series of sermons on the topic at our church, with the somewhat cheesy title of "RelationSHIFT." It's been a beautiful learning experience. Maybe I didn't realize it when I was saying my vows that August day three years ago, but I'm called to something higher as I live out those vows with Mark.
As a godly wife, I'm to submit to my husband--not only when he "deserves" it, but always; like how Jesus submitted completely and humbled himself to receive our punishment on the cross though we didn't deserve such sacrifice. I have to ask myself regularly if I'm being a suitable helper; do I make my husband mad or glad? Do I bring him stress or rest?
It's too easy for me to try to usurp his authority in the household and be demanding and controlling, not respecting him. But when I remember I'm supposed to be reflecting God through my marriage, that I can bring Him glory, I'm more motivated to do things right. And with the Holy Spirit's power working through me, that's possible.
I hope Mark's heart has been touched by God also. If the sermon for husbands didn't go in one ear and out the other, if he puts into action what he learned, I can expect a husband who loves me sacrificially not selfishly, one who loves me carefully not conveniently. Meaning, he loves me not just when I make him dinner, do his laundry, am being nice, etc. He also loves me when I'm being annoying. And if I need his attention even when the game's one, he'll give it willingly.
Another interesting point is that as head of the household, the husband is to love his wife purposefully. In Ephesians 5:25-27, it says"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." Mark is supposed to be preparing the family for the last days, making us presentable as part of a "radiant church."
With this new perspective, I'm even more thrilled to be in a marriage and excited to apply more Bible stuff in my relationship! Yay!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This was really beautiful

Popular posts from this blog

Blister

Mother's Day

St. Lucia